Monday, April 7, 2008

I Love Paris!





I woke up early this morning, as I do everyday, with my NPR morning news. In my half sleep, I heard - "Paris".... "Torch"...... "Fire"...... I woke up thinking "My Paris is Burning!!?? My Lavin!! My Hermes!!"

Much to my relief, as we all know - it was about the Olympic relay torch that was NOT burning because of protest. I listened to the news with nice, warm, fuzzy feelings.... since the Bastille Day, has French actually protested violently that involves fire?? ...well, besides their regular labor and student strikes that make the City of Light smelly.


It reminded me our version of infamous '99 WTO protest in our sleepy, tree-hugging, java town. That was violent. I could not leave office because I was too stupid to go to work which was 2 blocks away from the WTO venue. I saw people wearing gas-masks walking around downtown. Even police horses had high-tech masks. People walked around naked in our wet, cold November weather...

When I saw photos of my beloved Paris protest, I realized, even under these stressful situations, Paris gendames look chic in their "inspired by Tour de France " inline skating gears. Even protestors with banners dress nicely - look even regal -over there. "Droit de l'homme" sounds more intelligent and sophisticated than... "human rights"...


Everything they do in Paris - it's done with Class and Style.... Everything we do in Seattle, it's done with grunge as by Sadgasm.


I know Dalai Lhama is coming to our town in a few days after the Olympic torch comes to The City (=San Francisco, of course). I hope we the West Coaster can decorate Golden Gate Bridge and Space Needle with Panache....




No comments: